"To Provide for Creation"

by: friar Jaime Zaragoza, OFM Conv.

Our Maryland trip helped us to reconnect with the care of creation at the grass roots level; this was addressed in two areas.  Firstly, at the Chesapeake Bay with "Col. Dennis", and learning about what is required to create an equilibrium in an environment so that it may continue to be resourceful.  Secondly, was on the Little Portion Farm in Ellicott City with Farmer Matt, who showed me the importance of restoring a farm that had been non-organic.  Disconnecting with my normal routine to reconnect with nature has taught me the importance of balance, and I found this in creation.


On the Chesapeake Bay with Col. Dennis, I was able to see the importance of reconnecting to our water resources and the different dynamics that make up the equilibrium.  These dynamics evolve around the native blue crabs: if rock fish (AKA striped bass) season is good, the crab season will be bad.  Additionally, the introduction of non-native species, like the Asian snakehead fish that thrives by eating infant crabs, is also affecting the equilibrium of a species that is so important to Maryland.  These crabs create income for fisherman, but also the locals fish for them to feed their families.  A crab feast is an iconic ritual in Maryland that brings together community, and I got to experience that on the feast of Pentecost; of course, no Maryland crab feast is complete without a Berger cookie!

Moving from the water to the Little Portion Farm, I saw the importance of restoring a non-organic farm and the outcome of farming in this manner.  How can this be fixed?  Restoration is a labor intensive process and it takes patience.  The farmer must be able to rebuild the balance of the soil so that all may return to its correct function.  It is must regain the nutrients that have been lost, for native insects and earthworms to return, so that its natural being can be restored to its resourcefulness.

For myself, reconnecting to the care of creation in these two matters helped me to understand the importance of balance.  I have recognized the balance of God's creation in a very small way, but it was helped me understand that I am a part of a creation as well, and I must become balanced in my own life too, so that I may be a resource that God can use to provide for creation.  Visiting and working on the farm and bay I was able to reconnect with nature.  I was able to enjoy the bay by swimming in it and, in the silence of the water, the was comfort in knowing the something as big as the bay is working as God created it to work.  This swim refreshed me externally and spiritually, and was needed to refresh and remind me of my calling.  There was also a spiritual refreshment in touching the soil at the farm, knowing that while it is damaged, I did my little part in helping it.

Comments

  1. As a fellow swimmer and lover of water, may God continue to bless you all with balance!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

"The Chicken Dance"

"King of the Mountains"