Disconnect to Reconnect

by: friar Alejandro Arias, OFM Conv.
            I find myself disconnected from beauty and from reality when I am so connected through social media.  Being connected is so important in life. As humans we were created to be relational. We are always seeking relationships, created by a relational, triune God. But I find myself unable to connect if my eyes are fixed on my phone all the time. I needed to disconnect to connect with reality, and this is something that I found to be profound in the lives of Russ and Renee. 
Russ and Renee are a lovely couple that live off the grid in Kentucky. NO electricity! Their house is like something you would find in the Shire. Everything is made out of wood and in harmony with nature - it’s amazing. Their hospitality was nothing short of that of a family of Hobbits, with food coming fresh from their garden, including freshly baked pies, and conversation that lingered for hours and included the reciting of poetry! Going to their house, I was able to reconnect with people, nature, and most importantly with God. Their love for creation is immense. They know that our “sister” Mother Earth, now cries out to us because of the harm we have inflicted on her by irresponsible use and abuse of the goods with which God has endowed her.”[1] And they are trying to heal those wounds of abuse by living and connecting with sister nature in a sustainable way, through a simple lifestyle.


 In our visit to Russ and Renee’s house, the friars and I discovered a trail that lead us to a river. During our hike, I kept thinking of how God was revealing himself through nature.

“ To say that creation is revelation means that the splendor of the Appalachian mountains,

         their valleys and coves,

         their ridges and hollows,

         their skies and forest,

         their rocks and soils,

         their rivers and streams and springs,

         their plants and animals,

all show us God’s glory, all tell us if God’s beauteous presence,”[2]

all show us God’s beauty.
Sister earth our home is beautiful and we need to take care of it we need to listing to nature and listen to the pain we have caused her. I am thinking twice about how we treat our sister earth, and how I might live with her in better harmony and simplicity. For God has given us such beautiful home and is our responsibility to take care of her the same way she takes care of us. I’m thankful that I am now more conscience of how I can play my part in this web of life we all call home.


[1] Laudato Si, Chapter I
[2] At home in the Web of Life, 53


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"The Chicken Dance"

"To Provide for Creation"

JUSTICE, PEACE, POVERTY