To Heal Wounds


by: friar Jaime Zaragoza, OFM Conv.

In Bogota, we went one morning to serve communion to the homebound in the parish the friars run.  At one of the stops, I heard a story of abuse within the family.  In hearing this story, I realized that even though the abuse happened years ago and the abuser had long since died, there was still a lot of suffering and pain that needed tending to.  I witnessed another friar care for that situation of pain by listening and praying with the family; it was the first step to helping mend the wounds of violence within the family.

As I was spending time with this family, I realized that this family was a microcosm for the violence experienced throughout Colombia, the violence of the past that is still being dealt with.  I began to see it as an example of what Archbishop Jose Luis Escobar Alas called in his pastoral letter “a problem that is rooted in the past that has either been ignored or concealed.”[1]  It was a problem that needed to be spoken of, a “symptomatic fact that demands reflection.”[2]  I had to be the ear that listened.

I realized that in ministry I often seek to help the ones I am serving, but often the ones who are suffering end up giving my spirit ten times more, give me the meaning and understanding of compassion and mercy.  After listening to this horrific story of violence, I understand that I do not have to always have the right words, but I can always listen.  I always find myself asking the Holy Spirit to help me say what it is that the people need to hear.  But after reflecting on this experience, I now know that I need to be asking for better listening skills, so that I might be able to heal wounds.



[1]  I See Violence and Strife in the City
[2] Ellacuria, Ignacio, “Volencia y Cruz”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"The Chicken Dance"

"To Provide for Creation"

JUSTICE, PEACE, POVERTY